Saturday, November 28, 2009

I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

I am kind of inactive but I have a pekingnese/poodle that loves me...I must be doing something right!!! The breed would have to like being inside, amongst people, love laps %26amp; be small enough for me to handle %26amp; tend not to bite!! I like brushing hair too!!!



Any suggestions???



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

I would suggest adopting an older dog from a shelter. They tend to be more lap dogs. More quiet and calm. Good indoor/lap dog breeds would be pugs, rat terriers, papillions, miniature schnauzer, minature poodle. Good luck and I hope you find a great companion!!



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

I think Vintage up there got it. I was trying to think of another breed, but Golden would be great. Or a Goldendoodle.



(not small, but great, obedient, and easy to train!)



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

Bichon Frise, we had two of them, low matinence, and very loveable! They're the best



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

I haven't had many small dogs. The only two that I had were a Yorkie mix and a cocker spaniel. Both were very loving dogs.



But, don't take my word for it. Go to your local shelter, let them know your situation. The should be able to help you find the right dog for you.



Edit: And to answer your questions, every type of dog out there has been in a shelter. So, yeah, small dogs will be in shelters. Either they were strays, turned over by owners that couldn't keep them, or rescued from a bad environment



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

A yorkie would be perfect for you. They're an indoor dog and so small! A mini one is only 4 lbs and they love to be brushed all the time and they don't bite. Good luck! =)



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

Small dogs that have been poorly bred or spoiled to a point of being too spoiled can have a tendency to nip, but I don't think it's characteristic of any breed.



Most small breeds were originally bred as pets or lap dogs, so I really think that almost any breed would be appropriate for you. I'd recommend that you either get an older dog (from a shelter or private party) that you know has a good temperament or get a puppy from a good breeder where you can meet the parents and talk to the breeder.



Small breeds with groomable hair include: Poodles, longhair Chihuahuas, Maltese, Havanese, Lowchen, Yorkshire Terriers, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, English Toy Spaniel (aka King Charles Spaniel)... There's more, but those I could think of off the top of my head.



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

I am also disabled and have 2 Pomeranians. I spend most of my time inside due to my illness and I have found that Pomeranians are great indoor pets. Like you, I enjoy brushing my dogs, so grooming them and never been a problem for me.



ADD:



Small dogs do end up in shelters. Some of the reasons are the owner passed away, moved to an apartment, can no longer afford a pet or training problems.



Small dogs go VERY fast. I was on a list at the shelter for over a year waiting for a small dog. I decided to go to a breeder. It could have been years! I live in a small town, so the turnover is very slow. You might have quicker/better results in a larger city.



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

It doesn't have to be a full blood breed. I would check the SPCA or the humane society there are many mixed breed dogs that would be wonderful and loving.



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

Bichon Frise...happy-go-lucky dogs, LOVE ppl, love being the ultimate lap dog, very affectionate and grooming is a must so you'd get to brush to your hearts content. they aren't "tiny" dogs...but they aren't HUGE either, perfect sized dog for your needs, great personality for your needs, and loves other ppl and pets.



EDIT:



ahh some haters up in here thumbs downing i see..LOL how stupid.



anyway...answer to your added question...YES small dogs DO end up in shelters. i have volunteered at my local SPCA for YEARS..MANY small dogs come in and out of the shelter system. some get adopted, some don't.



30% of the shelter population are made up of PUREBRED dogs...something to think about.



matter of fact...i found my sweet little dog Peggy Sue at a kill shelter. her owners brought her in and gave her up...ppl are cruel.



i was VERY upset about her being in the kill shelter because she was SO sweet. BUT the SPCA that i volunteer w/had already saved as many dogs as they were allowed for that week, and most "owner turn ins" only get 3 days before they are put down.



My husband knew how upset i was about it...and being the sweet man that he is, he snuck down to the kill shelter and adopted her on our anniversary! that was 4 yrs ago..she was 2 yrs old when we adopted her...she is just a sweetheart, loves our kids and other dogs...and well everybody really.



she's a chihuahua/dachshund mix. and since she was already spayed when we adopted her, her adoption fee was only $4!!



all my dogs are shelter dogs...2 are purebreds, 2 are mutts.



you'd be surprised what you can find in a shelter.



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

If you are blind a golden retriever would be good



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

I have and raise the mix of pom/maltese. They would be perfect for your situation. They would love to sit in anyones lap all day. They do need brushing, and are under 12 pounds. All mine are litter trained and the puppies too. I have one little girl that will only go outside for any reason, if we make her. She just prefers the inside, lol. The poms and maltese that i have and the mix, are just so friendly.



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

well if u go with a little bet bigger dog like a lab u would be better, like a black lab mix, they r really healthy and love to be around people



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

Mini longhair dachshund...?



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

Your question was vague in details because there is all kinds of disabilities and you didn't mention what you have or your limitations...from there you could pick a appriopriate breed. Feel free to email me with more details.



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

Chihuahuas make great service dogs. They can help you pick up things etc. I know someone who has a service chi who lets her know just before she has a seizure so she can sit down and be prepared and not just collapse onto the floor. They are very smart, very aware little dogs. My chi automatically became a seeing eyed dog for my older Toy Poodle who went blind. He would nudge him away from walking into stone walls etc in our garden.



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

I am disabled and when my husband died, I got left with our black lab so I know you should not go there. Rocky just turned 6 and still is like a hyper puppy.I still love my devil dog! good luck!



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

Best Choice: Golden Retriever



Golden retrievers are a great and fun dog to have for any household. They are full of life and energy and will bring a lot of fun to your life. Their temperament is perfect for the average family that has children living in it or for someone that is on their own. No matter who is in need of a dog, the Golden Retriever is perfect for your life.



Golden retrievers are fun loving dogs that you can have a great deal of fun with. You can play with them and let them run and jump around the yard or house. You can have a good game of catch with them and watch as they run after the ball each time your throw it. They will playfully run to the ball and bring it back to you each time.



Golden retrievers are well known for their affection. They are dogs that need and want to have love and attention from their owners as well as anyone else that will pay mind to them. They like to surround themselves with people that are going socialize with them and give them attention.



Families that have children will get so much pleasure from a golden retriever joining their home. The children will find that the dog is so gentle and willing to have fun with them. They will be able to feel comfortable around the dog as well as the parents can feel safe and secure knowing that they have a good and well behaved dog as their family pet.



Most of the golden retrievers are going to be great companions for just about anyone that is lonely. They will make up for the lost friendship or relationship that is missing from someone閳ユ獨 life. If there is someone that is in need of a friend, getting a golden retriever may be the perfect present to get for him or her. This is a dog that will require little maintenance except for continuous love and attention.



Golden retriever閳ユ獨 intelligence is one of the reasons why they are so great to have around. They have the sense to know when or what they should be doing and sort of have common sense to tell them if they should or should not be doing something. This is another reason why they also make great assistance dogs for the disabled.



Many people think of their golden retriever as a good therapy dog. They will find the time that the spend with their dog as a good form of treatment for when they are not feeling well or have emotional problems that are hard to deal with. A golden retriever is a great way to bring joy into someone閳ユ獨 life again. You will not find another dog to have the same great attitude as the golden retriever does.



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

I strongly recommend the Golden Retriever. They are such beautiful dogs, loyal companions, friendly, and lovable. They match all of your criteria and are wonderful for anyone.



You won't regret getting a golden retriever!



Hope that helps you out! [:



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

A cocka-poo. Good mix and still a small breed.... They love to be lap dogs, love to be loved, and love to be inside. Plus their hair can get long enough for you to brush.



But ultimately there are alot of small breeds that would fit your situation perfectly.... Look up some dog breed websites and read about all different small breeds, and narrow it down to something that you think would be right for u.



I'm disabled, what dog should I get???

Golden Doodle or a bichon frise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans